By Michael Floyd
One of the balloon sculptures that I have always stuggled with is the Balloon Car. When I was first starting out as a balloon Twister you could almost see my dread if someone asked for a car.
After many designs and long hours of tinkering, I have designed a simple a five balloon car that look sgreat and can be made moderately fast.
This balloon car is not difficult to make. Just follow the step by step instructions. I am going to be pretty thorough, so you advanced balloon twisters, feel free to breeze through at your own pace.
- Inflate and tie two balloons of whatever color you would like the car to be. (I chose pink, but that’s just me)
- Using the first balloon, twist a three inch sausage twist, followed by a half inch pinch twist.
- Do this twice more.
- Twist the knot of balloon into the third pinch twist.
- Use the second balloon, make another just like it, following steps 2 – 4.
- With each balloon, twist a 5 inch sausage twist and connect it to the first pinch of the other balloon. This will be the bottom frame of the car.
- With each of the two tails (end of a balloon), twist a inch sausage, half inch pinch twist three inch sausage, half inch pinch twist, and a inch sausage.
- Twist the last sausage twist into the pinch twist on the opposite side. [car.ht7.jpg] [car.ht8.jpg]
- With each of the two tails (end of a balloon), twist a inch sausage twist, and a inch twist.
- Inflate and tie a black balloon. Twist a five inch sausage twist, followed by two half inch pinch twists. Break off the tail and tie it.
- Take the broken section and wrap it around one of the last pink pinch twists. Twist the black knot into its two half inch pinch twists. This make a tire.
- With the other piece of the black balloon make another tire and attach it to the other pink pinch twist. (steps 10 & 11).
- Inflate another black balloon and make two more tires. Twist a inch sausage twist at the very end of each of the pink balloons. Attach a tire around each of them.
- Inflate a third pink balloon and twist the knot into the pinch twist on either end.
- Twist a five inch sausage and twist it into one of the top pinch twists, while going on top of (over) the sausage twist that connects the wheels.
- Twist a five inch sausage twist and twist it into the pinch twist on the other side of the car.
- Twist a five inch sausage twist and twist it into the pinch twist on the far end, making sure to go on top of the sauage twist the connects the other two wheles..
- Now make your back, by repeating steps 15 – 17, to the other side.
- Break off the remaining tail.
- Inflate a clear balloon and twist it into any on of the four pinch twist on the top side of the car.
- Twist a two inch sausage twist, a four inch sausage twist, and another two inch sausage twist. Twist the end of this last sausage twist into the pinch twist opposite on the one you originally twisted the clear balloon into.
- Break of the tail of the clear balloon.
You now have a wonderfully made balloon convertible car. Feel free to add on details, head lights, seats, use you imagination and really get into it.
Michael Floyd http://www.art-of-balloon-animals.ask-the-monkey.com